Monday, November 15, 2010

Reflections by Dana

I am entering a new phase in my life now that both Alecia and Justis are in school. Justis started at a pre-school associated with Alecia’s dual language school. My goal this year is to be able volunteer some time at each school now that I don’t have a toddler attached to me!

Last week I attended a volunteer orientation with Aspira, the organization that runs both schools. We were required to watch a PBS documentary about Antonia Pantoja. Pantoja started the organization to empower Puerto Ricans who were moving into New York City in the 40’s and having trouble in school and suffering various forms of discrimination.

A woman shared her story of wanting to be a part of Aspira, but she noticed that the organization was made up of “the cream of the crop.” “I was not the cream of the crop; I lived in the projects,” she explained. It seemed that she was able to find her place in Aspira and become successful. However, I wondered about an organization that was meant to serve the oppressed which inadvertently began catering to the more fortunate. Many of the students in Alecia’s class live in more middle class neighborhoods, but commute to her school because of the dual language and Puerto Rican curriculum. Many of the more struggling Puerto Ricans cannot get into the school.

For my birthday, Nes and I went out to dinner in an up and coming neighborhood just two miles south of our neighborhood. The community used to be blighted, but has since been bought up and revamped. Poor have been pushed out and the neighborhood has been taken over by the privileged. On our drive home, we noticed the stark transition from privilege to poverty. It struck me hard when we I saw a man pushing a cart full of his belongings several blocks before we reached our home. I have often asked the question, “How can we revitalize a neighborhood without pushing out the poor, but rather serving them?”

Aspira recently took over an existing public school as a charter school just across the street from Bethel Temple. This neighborhood school has served kids from some of the most difficult of circumstances. Our prayer is that as Aspira strives to revitalize this struggling school, they would continue to serve the neediest. Aspira has no Christian roots, but we can still pray for God to use it!

1 comment:

Ron Steslow said...

Hi Dana,
I like your question about "How do we revitalize neighborhood without pushing out the poor?" I see this all the time. Ive even seen it done with bulldozers on cardboard huts. One man lost his life...literally. On the up side, there is a leader I know well who is doing a great job of making people aware of who is their "neighbor" (near one) and how to love and respect them. She feeds homeless and plants park churches near schools. In one school year she and her friend started giving out hot chocklate and coffee in the morning to the moms taking their children to school. At the end of the year there were 60 people coming and the school leaders and neighbors! Cool eh? Keep up the good work! Ron rsteslow@gmail.com